Custom Pages

Friday, January 19, 2018


Here's a photo of the design I created while taking a break from tatting my doily:

This pattern is inspired by a lot of classic tatted hearts, specifically designs that use an outline to represent the heart. As such, I've called this pattern "Classic Heart." You can find it in my Etsy shop by clicking here.

The sets of double rings have proven to be a really versatile tatting element. I've used them in several designs, including the doily from my previous post. By changing ring size and join location, a lot of different curves and angles can be made.

I tatted 12 hearts before I got the angles correct and finalized the stitch counts. While I was experimenting, I could see the potential for outlining several other shapes as well. Not that I would do it, but I bet the alphabet could be tatted with ring sets like this. Also spades, clubs, and diamonds to go along with the heart (as in playing cards), but I'm not sure how good those would look as just outlines.

So far, I've only tatted three hearts from the finished pattern:

When I get the chance, I'd like to try a few more color combinations to see how they look.

Monday, January 15, 2018

Round and round...

I've been battling a cold for the past few weeks, which is why I haven't been posting to my blog. I'm feeling much better now and just have a lingering cough.

In the meantime, I've continued to test tat my latest doily:

This round is particularly slow and tedious. I couldn't help but to take a break from it to create a new, much smaller design. I'll write more about that soon.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017

A start

I haven't had the chance to do much tatting over the past three weeks. However, I did manage to get a diagram and written instructions made for my latest doily, and I've just started to test tat it:

My curiosity got the better of me (again), and I wanted to see if the doily could be increased from 11 to 12 repeats while using the original stitch count. Well, it's already started to ruffle, so I think it will be best to stick with 11. I don't want to waste too much time on this experiment, so I'm going to finish the last few rings and chains and then start over with the correct amount of repeats. I'll set aside what I've done, just in case I want to go back to experimenting later.

Monday, November 27, 2017


Here is the doily I've been working on, with a simple trimming added as the final round:

I've been designing in white thread because I can find it at the local craft stores, and the lack of color makes it really easy to see the negative space. However, I'd like to tat this doily again with a touch of color. I'll also use the opportunity to make some very small changes (reducing the number of picots in the last round and adjusting the size of a couple of rings).

For now, I've placed it under a vase of wooden flowers:

The doily isn't very big, measuring about 11 inches across when tatted in Lizbeth size 20 thread.

Also, a reminder that my Etsy shop is having a sale for a couple more days (ending Tuesday, November 28). Everything in the shop is 20% off and the discount is automatically applied.

Friday, November 24, 2017

Holiday Sale

A really quick post today to say that all of the patterns in my Etsy shop are on sale until Tuesday, November 28. Everything is 20% off and the discount is automatically applied (no coupon code needed). If you use the Etsy app, make sure you are running the latest version to see accurate pricing.

Other Etsy shops are having sales this weekend too, so be sure to browse around if you've been eyeing anything for the holidays. I'll be doing almost all of my holiday shopping online so I don't have to deal with the rush in the stores!